Ontario Veterinary College: A Chronology, 1862-2012

During the Ontario Veterinary College Sesquicentennial, June 15, 2012, eight speakers, including veterinarians, laboratory scientists, and historians, focused on the theme, “Cross-Border Connections in Canadian & U. S. Veterinary History.” Along with the program, the following timeline of OVC’s history was presented.

1862

Andrew Smith begins lecturing on veterinary medicine in Toronto.

1866

First class graduated, Robert Robinson, William Elliot, and George Kempchell.

1883

Smith’s lecture notes are published as the first Canadian veterinary medical textbook.

1902

John Gunion Rutherford (OVC ‘1879) named Veterinary Director General of Canada becoming instrumental in creating federal meat inspection laws.

1910

Francis Schofield graduates and goes to Korea as a medical missionary, coming into conflict with Japanese occupiers. From 1921-55, he taught pathology at OVC, becoming renowned for linking a bleeding disease in sheep and cattle to moldy sweet clover. That research led to development of vitamin K inhibitors now used worldwide to control blood- clotting.

1910

Canadian Army Veterinary Corps is established with several OVC students and graduates serving in its ranks during the first World War.

1913

Omega Tau Sigma fraternity established at OVC.

1918

C. D. McGilvray appointed OVC Principal, playing a key role in OVC’s accreditation by the U. S. Bureau of Animal Industry and the American Veterinary Medical Association.

1922

OVC moves from Toronto to Guelph, Ontario.

1928

OVC graduates its first woman, Elizabeth Barrie.

 

Carpenter. Frank Côté (OVC ’26) begins teaching small-animal

medicine at OVC.

1932

Inter-class hockey (Challenge Cup) formalized with C. D. McGilvray gift.

1951

OVC Student Wives Auxiliary forms.

1951

OVC Alumni Association formed.

1953

Jack Côté (OVC ’51) begins farm service service at OVC.

1956

Donald Barnum and F. H. S. Newbould publish research on the use of antibiotics for treating bovine mastitis.

1958

James Archibald becomes head of the Small Animal Clinic and introduces aseptic conditions for all OVC surgeries.

1964

OVC becomes part of the newly-formed University of Guelph.

1986

OVC Pet Trust Fund is established to support applied clinical research, its first major achievement being the funding of the College’s first cobalt radiation unit.

1987

Patricia Shewen and Bruce Wilkie develop a vaccine for shipping fever, which became the most commercially successful patented veterinary medicine.

2006

Centre for Public Health and Zoonoses opens, providing research into diseases transmissible between animals and humans.

2007

Institute for Comparative Cancer Investigation (ICCI) opens.

2010

Hill’s Pet Nutrition Primary Healthcare Centre Opens.